Moon Washington (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Not currently on our shelves. Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
Discover Washington with Moon Travel Guides!
Whether you're headed to top of the Space Needle or Mount Rainier, explore the unique culture and rugged wilderness of the Evergreen State with Moon Washington.
- Strategic itineraries that can adapted for your budget and timeline, including day trips from Seattle, excursions to the Olympic Peninsula or the San Juan Islands, and a two-week tour of the entire state
- Curated advice for outdoor adventurers, foodies, culture and history buffs, and more
- Can't-miss experiences and unique activities: Kayak across glacier-carved lakes, or explore the sub-alpine forests and high-country meadows of Mount Rainier National Park. Spot wild black bears and spotted owls, or head out to sea to witness migrating gray whales. Wander the pebble-strewn beaches of the Pacific Coast, get to know the charms of Tacoma and Bellevue, and explore the history of aeronautics at the Museum of Flight. Savor Seattle's vibrant culinary, music, and arts scenes, grab a world-renowned cup o' joe, or taste your way through Washington wine country
- Expert insight from Seattle local Matthew Lombardi
- Honest advice on when to go, how to get around, and where to stay, from secluded forest cabins to historic hotels and coastal B&Bs
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Focused coverage of Seattle, the Olympic Peninsula and the Coast, the San Juan Islands and North Puget Sound, the North Cascades, Mount Rainier and the South Cascades, the Columbia River Gorge and Wine Country, and Eastern Washington
- Thorough background information on the culture, landscape, climate, and wildlife, plus handy recommendations for international visitors, traveling with kids, LGBTQ+ travelers, and travelers with disabilities
Spending more time in the city? Try Moon Seattle. Hitting the road? Check out Moon Pacific Northwest Road Trip.
About the Author
Seattle resident Matthew Lombardi has spent the last decade and a half writing and editing travel guides. He has covered his home turf in the Pacific Northwest, other parts of the western United States-particularly California, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado-and more far-flung destinations, including Puerto Rico, Ireland, and especially Italy, where his work has taken him from the foot of Vesuvius to the peaks of the Dolomites.
Anywhere with gorgeous landscapes, good food, and engaging local culture is on his radar. He's found all three in abundance in Washington, from the imposing bluffs of the Columbia River, where the parched landscape yields world-class wines, to the coastline of Neah Bay, where you can eat succulent smoked salmon and take a spirit-lifting hike to the far northwest corner of the United States.
Before turning to travel writing Matthew was an editor with Random House and Universal Press Syndicate. He's gently edited some old masters, including science fiction legend Arthur C. Clarke, conservative icon William F. Buckley, and passionate movie critic Roger Ebert. He was born and raised in Kansas City and holds degrees from the University of Virginia and the City University of New York.